Originally Posted by mecreature
If you could get a kid to actively participate in the school and the community it would help them a lot I bet.

I have been looking at Introduction and intermediate to counting and probability for my ds 10. He is pretty stretched right now but maybe for some summer work. It is pretty cool stuff that could get a kid hooked if they hang in there but might be too much review.
Does he do Alcumus, and if so, does he have a high level and all topics blue in the counting and probability there? That's the obvious thing to use as a guide. The intro c&p is reputed to be the easiest intro course, but it looks to me as though the intermediate requires a level of mathematical sophistication that makes it unsuitable as an immediate follow-on from the intro course. For example, it does induction half way through, something which (for reasons I've never fully understood!) many people find to be a conceptual roadblock.

Originally Posted by mecreature
We tried some ALEKS stuff and thought it was horrible. How did your son like it?
It was useful for a few years, and he used to go in phases of liking it a lot for a while and then getting bored with it. Definitely only useful for routine problems, but doing the routine questions and working out what was going on from that beat being actually taught the material, for him. I doubt he'll use it again at this point, though.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail