Originally Posted by sciencelover
CCN, that’s interesting that there was such a gap in some of your son’s CELF categories. Did the tester test all the categories? Our report has all of them listed, but many weren’t tested. I don’t know why. My son likes to rip paper, too! Actually (this sounds so weird) he has ended up eating some bookmarks because he will hold them while reading, rip them into little pieces , and put them in his mouth. We try to make sure he always has gum. I know he needs to get more exercise but right now I just don’t know how to do that when he spends all daylight hours either at school or doing homework (he can’t do it later after playing or he won’t have enough time).

I will definitely ask the doctor about non-stimulant meds.

I'm not sure if all of the CLEF categories were tested... there were 6-8 scores if I recall. He was only ahead in one category (basically normal in the rest), but ahead by 5:3 years. The SLP said "yeah... on paper it's hard to see that he needs help." lol.

To further put this into context, two years ago, in a related area (expressive language) on his psycho-ed assessment he scored in the 10th percentile (for receptive it was even worse: 0.5th percentile). The psychologist at the time said she thought that his ADHD was impacting the test scores, so when I saw the CLEF results I was relieved. She recommended that we medicate him (haven't yet) and get another psycho-ed assessment in a couple of years to try and pin down his scores (haven't yet and likely won't).

Speaking of paper... gosh I wish he'd quit ripping it!! His books are a mess.

My son LOVES gum too smile He's not allowed to have it at school, but I bought him chewable pencil toppers:

http://www.nationalautismresources.com/cheweze.html

...which were fabulous when he needed them. He's stopped chewing now and moved on to paper ripping.

Btw - his sensory issues (which have gotten milder) were so bad that the school was convinced he had autism, which we've since ruled out.

Re: gum - he also takes it out of his mouth and plays with it (cringe) and blows massive bubbles that get stuck on his face. We have a new rule that if there is any gum left that he can't get off, he loses his gum chewing privileges for a week. LOL it works... he's really careful now smile

Re: exercise: my son could use more too. Sometimes if he's wiggly during home work I have him take a "running break" where I get him to race up and down the hallway as fast as he can. He loves it. I yell "go! go! faster! faster! c'mon!" and he laughs as he runs.

Last edited by CCN; 12/13/13 08:58 AM.