Originally Posted by Val
Originally Posted by Old Dad
Upon entering the next grade they started the whole process again! We simply informed the teacher that our DS would not be returning those take home worksheets, there was simply no way we were going to support such unnecessary poor use of his time, it wasn't a discussion, it was a simple statement of fact.

What did they say?

It really caught them off guard. Something along the lines of, "Oh.....well.....I guess we'll just have to find other work for him." To which I replied, "I'd very much appreciate that, something more in line with his abilities"

The way I looked at it, what did I have to lose? What were they going to do? Not let him advance to the next grade after already demonstrating mastery the previous year? If he got a poor grade / review in math in the 3rd grade (shrug) big deal. It's not like it's going to be looked at by colleges. He had already mastered the material and had proven he's done so. If I made him do it again what would that be saying about how I value my son's time and efforts? All too often as adults we think our time is valuable but the time of a young person is not, I don't subscribe to that.