My admittedly very jaded opinion is that the teacher probably knows that your son is capable of doing harder work but she probably isn't going to do much to help him. I've been down this road many times and have heard all kinds of reasons about why [insert request] isn't possible.

She needs practice at x.

We're afraid of gaps in learning.

I was always taught to use my best students, so I get him to tutor the kids who struggle.

Everyone has to do stuff they don't like (fine for cleaning your room but not for a place where learning is supposed to be the entire point).

Our math program is outstanding. (Message: this discussion is over)

I assure you that Miss X is really an amazing teacher and she is doing what's best for your child.

"If" your child is really gifted, as you claim....

Etc.

When people aren't interested, they aren't interested. But (IMO,) they won't usually be honest about why they aren't interested. They'll tell you something that sounds good to them and will want you to play nice and let it go. I've tried many approaches, from excessive politeness and playing it their way to being a PITA. Nothing has changed anything, ever, unless the teacher or the school had an open mind long before I came along. In that scenario, the polite route always worked the first time, whether I was making the request or they were. No conferences, no meetings, no stress, no nothing past a simple polite and reasonable request.

I've accepted that for my kids, I have to teach them at home. End of story.

So my message to you is to hope for the best in your meeting, but prepare to be rejected. If they let your son move up, great. But have a plan for what you'll do if they don't. You may want to consider teaching the Common Core standards. I've linked to an example for fractions.

Last edited by Val; 11/12/13 12:34 PM. Reason: Add Common Core link