Originally Posted by EmeraldCity
... how to help a child, 3 ½, who develops very strong emotional attachments and has trouble with transitions/changes process the loss of a friendship? ... I listen, acknowledge his loss and offer empathy, but I’m wondering if there is anything else I could be saying or doing to help him process his feelings.
Sounds like you are helping him very much already. Some may also share a story with their child, of a similar experience they went through, how they felt, what other positive things they focused on to keep themselves mentally occupied, and how perhaps these other things led to new friendships based on a common interest.

Kids may enjoy learning that many have "school friends", "math friends", "dance friends", etc until they are older and may experience deeper friendships.

One of my favorite analogies was from a parent who shared with children that a balloon is like some friendships which may be short-lived... bursting or drifting away... then helped kids find what was good about the balloon (and the kids they had a temporary friendship with), talk about what things the temporary friend had added to their life... this helped kids avoid bitterness and overcome sadness or feelings of rejection.

There are books especially geared to gifted kids, as gifted kids may experience things more intensely. Great Potential Press, Prufrock Press, Royal Fireworks Press, Free Spirit Publishing, Hoagies Gifted Education Page, and the book "Some of my best friends are books" list out many titles for bibliotherapy.

Magination Press, imprint of American Psychological Association (APA), also offers books which may be of interest.

For Parents, the books "A Parent's Guide to Gifted Children" and "Living with Intensity" may provide ongoing comfort, guidance, a heads-up on what to expect on your journey, and a sense of normalcy from knowing you are not alone.

Hugs to you and your DC, and wishing the best for your child's healing and resiliency when friendships may wax and wane, or end.