Originally Posted by blackcat
polarbear, he clearly has severe fine motor issues related to DCD so I don't think having an official "dysgraphia" diagnosis would necessarily help. He loves math, but hates the writing. I think from now on when he starts fighting it I'll offer to scribe for him.

Edited to add, they are evaluating him, but he will most likely get services through the DCD (and being physically impaired), not dysgraphia. Not sure if they are even assessing him for that specifically. I have mentioned it to them several times.

blackcat, I am sorry - I forgot that your ds has DCD (I am sure I have old-age memory challenges lol!). You should be able to go to his teacher *today* and request that he not be required to use math problems to practice handwriting. Dysgraphia is a *word* - the important thing is that he has fine motor challenges related to his DCD. One nuance you'll need to determine is - if it's dysgraphia, practicing handwriting isn't going to lead to long-term handwriting "fluency" - but if it's a fine motor issue that's remedial practicing handwriting can help potentially. The key is, if it's the case that remediation can help, your ds needs to have meaningful planned remediation - it's not something the teacher should be deciding to do via extra math practice smile

polarbear