Originally Posted by blackcat
The teacher did not have the kids ability-grouped at all, which I thought was dumb. If they are going to rotate through stations why not ability-group them and give each group work at the right level? Instead, everyone does the same work.
Thinking locally, some have said that teachers may not "get" it, others have heard teachers question what children will learn next year if they are accelerated in the curriculum, others report that some teachers are tasked with ensuring that kids even out by third grade.

Thinking nationally, some have shared that these practices are planned to achieve equity, with equal outcomes for all. It comes at a high price to those who could achieve more.

Thinking globally, many have observed a widespread pattern in which children are seemingly being taught to be mere cogs in a wheel, to place acquiescence to the system over consideration of one's own aptitudes and appetites for knowledge and the benefits which they as accomplished individuals may uniquely provide to society in the future. Some have said the pressure toward getting children to function in a uniform fashion is related to the large national debt and projections of the USA declining in the world economy while other countries become more powerful. Some who have come to the USA from other lands have shared stories of seeing changes in the USA which may signal we are on the path to becoming the type of system they have escaped from or left behind.

"I trust you to figure out a way to get him working at the right level."
Thinking locally, might teacher be working to ensure that kids even out by third grade?

Thinking nationally or globally, might the teacher/school/district believe that squelching the learning of the kids at the top IS the right level, insomuch as it furthers a possible goal of uniform outcomes for all kids?

But what do I say to DS? Particularly for some of the station activities that are way too easy?
Regarding his present situation, might he enjoy privately observing and analyzing the situation throughout the day...? A simple explanation may be to use the analogy of a game... some games are cooperative (everyone wins together)... some are competitive (one person or one team wins). Possibly DS may wish to consider which activities during the day match each of these different models? Kids may be very observant of which individuals are working together cooperatively, competitively, or at crossed-purposes in most situations, and how this may change or polarize when others are present. Some kids can quickly tell who is supposed to be the boss, who really is in charge, and who takes over when that person is not around. Some kids can easily describe what things a person said and did which indicated their leadership or place in the pecking order.

Regarding how his educational experiences, and those of other gifted kids, may fit into the grand scheme of things... some kids want the pure truth of any matter and any attempt at sugar-coating may result in less trust toward the parents. You know your kids best. You will know how much of world history and societies, current events, and the economy to share.

Meanwhile another poster gave great advice in summarizing options
... people around here seem to figure out ways to get away from it-- and that involves a LOT of different strategies: ...homeschooling...
I would add that parents may wish to look into their local homeschooling laws and stay abreast of any proposed changes which may limit parental authority and autonomy in this area (making homeschooling illegal or increasing regulation/reporting, etc). Maintaining the option to homeschool is key to having that option available when a family may need it, and such need may arise quickly when a school situation deteriorates or the child begins deteriorating.

Originally Posted by Val
... I've told them the truth, which is that the teacher is wrong in certain ways. In fact, before I told them, they knew something wasn't right and hearing it said out loud by someone they trust has been a huge help for them. One of them was blaming himself for having trouble in her class and both were losing ground mathematically. I also tell them to be respectful of the teacher and to get through her class as best they can. I've made this clear to them.

If your child is at a public school, the teacher is probably stressed about NCLB and test scores, which is what's driving her focus on the low achievers.

With a younger child, one possibility might be to tell him that the teacher has a lot of kids in her class and she's doing her best. Personally, even if I don't tell my kids the whole truth, I make sure I tell them something that isn't contradictory. So in this case, maybe (maybe) something along the lines of "teacher has to pay more attention to the kids who are having trouble. All the other teachers in America have to do the same thing." (This is just an idea to help you think.)
+1. I value this approach in helping children see things through the other person's point of view, acquainting children with the constraints within which others must operate. This is a skill which may serve children well throughout their lives. Understanding the opposition's view may help engage in thinking which creatively overcomes objections and proposes a possible win-win solution.