I have not looked at this page in a while, but here is an update on what was decided. The district decided to move to common core math using the Carnegie math series. 6th grade was divided into 3 levels according to ability, based on MAP scores. All are using the same textbook. Unfortunately, saying that you are ability grouping is not the same as actually ability grouping! I found that even the highest level was only a little ahead of the lowest. He spent two weeks in the class and was bored! After going back and forth with our district math person, she indicated that common core is challenging for everyone. I realized there would be no change on a broad scale and spoke with my principal about options. He suggested virtual school for math only. My son goes to the library during his math class and does pre-algebra through a virtual class. It is working out well for us so far. He is flying through though and I am not sure what we will do when he finishes the course (before the end of the school year). Many of his friends are in the "high level" common core math class. I asked how they liked it. One friend said his favorite thing was that he could finish the classwork (easy) and had plenty of time left to play on his phone!