Originally Posted by jenweav
Thank you for your input. It is very frustrating. My older son is in Algebra 1 (seventh grade). They are using the Common Core Algebra 1 book, though the district math director claims they have not implemented common core math. The class seems to be covering the material fine in a one year time span.Our Algebra teacher is phenomenal The proposal spends two years in Algebra 1. The district says they have not made a final decision. We are going to the school board about this.

I think it's ridiculous. For one thing, I can see it as possibly an option (and still not thinking it's a requirement) for the very first year that Common Core is used in your Algebra curriculum, but not as a proposal to change it for several years at a time. The thinking should be that as common core is implemented in the prerequisite classes, students will end up more and more prepared and "Common Core" Algebra will just be..."Algebra" again. No need to take two years to teach it. Sure, there may be some gaps for that first year of implementation, but it shouldn't last much beyond that, especially with gifted kids.