Originally Posted by ultramarina
Indigo, with respect, your attitude of "Why don't you just...it's very easy to...one could simply...you should...it is done as follows..."
The words in quotations which you attributed to me, without context provided, where are they sourced from?
Is this possibly a case of what was said differs from what was heard?

... comes off comes off as rather tone deaf to the needs of parents with a diversity of abilities, experiences, and capacities who are coping with the reality of this lived experience.
The intent is to show possible paths through the acknowledged difficulties, also based on years of experience.

We should not expect every parent to have the ability to come in and work the system to max capacity
To some ears, "working the system" may sound like "gaming the system", not like "knowing how the system works". That said, I've agreed that many parents are struggling to learn how the system works and suggested that there is strength in numbers, bonding with local parents may help learn their local system.

(and on the side, it seems they ought to phone up every person in charge and effect changes immediately if there is a problem).
Is this possibly a case of what was said differs from what was heard?

The system itself ought to be a doing a better job than that.
Agreed! I have posted elsewhere about this... 50 years of gifted ed and not much has improved regarding the actual experiences of gifted pupils and their families, who are finding the same ruts in the road. That having been said, we are a government of the people, by the people and for the people, and as such we the people are empowered to make changes in how our government schools can best serve our population, within the constraints of time, budget, space, etc.

I don't know if the OP is encountering bias or not. Quite possibly not--

Politics was the word used by the OP, bias was a word introduced by another poster in the midst of a very thoughtful response and actually in regard to their own district. It is a word which can be polarizing, akin to allegations and accusations, even when intended to invoke our highest selves and serve as a reminder to be open-minded and consider every view.

... it does seem to be the case that parents with less "know-how," which may include those who have immigrated and are speaking a second language, may be at a disadvantage in the school system.

Agreed. I believe I posted a similar sentiment.

... Should we pretend that this never happens? That would be disingenuous at best.
Personally I prefer to show possible paths through the acknowledged difficulties.

... Should we then blame the parents if they struggle with this disadvantage? Seems unfair to me.
Personally I prefer to show possible paths through the acknowledged difficulties.