Thanks everyone for your suggestions. We went and checked the pretest paper with the teacher. There was a question which the teacher marked wrong which we challenged since teacher marked it as 'below' which made her disqualified. I am still a bit furious about the teachers decision- let me know what you think. Q was to measure understanding of remainders.The question: there are 43 cups of juice to be divided among guests , each having 3 cups. How many guests can you serve? DD wrote as follows: "I will serve 15 guests. The last person will get only 1 cup but a least he will get something and be happy !!" (then she drew a smiley face next to it smile )she was trying to be funny and I am glad my kid has a sense of humor. Do you really think she didn't know about remainders ??? We asked the teacher to reconsider and also talked through with the principal. Haven't heard back anything. Their argument is that she should have written " 14 guest and there will be 1 cup left over".
This is my 4th grader thinking outside the box and facing the consequences frown
thanks again.
-Paa