Originally Posted by Portia
Originally Posted by doubtfulguest
oh! and i just remembered an observation DD once made about "park friends" that might help. she said that park friends are not the same as real friends.

YES! DS said the same thing!

Originally Posted by doubtfulguest
...and btw - i completely empathize with you on that "cute" comment - DD used to announce she needed to "go away to manage her feelings" in that kind of situation and i've seen a few of those responses, too. they made me want to SCREAM!

Yes here too! SCREAMING right along with you.

It took me a LONG time to realize what the real issue on the table was... There is a tremendous amount of pressure for children to play well together (with same aged children) at really early ages. This is a complete myth. These early interactions you want to be positive as your child is shaping how the world works and his/her role in it. That individual friendship worked WAAAAYYY more wonders than anything he will get out of a park at this age. He doesn't need to learn group dynamics right now, that comes later.

I think he is learning more from you than he'll get out of the younger kids until he starts school. You really are doing a phenomenal job. He sounds like he is learning to advocate for himself, can recognize his personal comfort limits, and can express his ideas. He also knows if his boundaries are not respected - RUN! This is a really great lesson to have learned. Protecting his boundaries is a main component of parenting at this age. It's ok. Don't feel bad about it. It gets better.

Portia, many many thanks for everything you said. As a SAHM, it's wonderful to have a sanity check and receive external validation. You and doubtfulguest are officially my speed-dial ladies. smile

It's reassuring to hear you validate my own thoughts about the lack of value in socializing with age peers when reciprocity is all but impossible. I couldn't agree more about the importance of socialization being a positive experience. We're starting to see the balance tip in favour of fear, which I would like to reverse by being quite selective with playmates.

I just spent the evening protecting boundaries like a mama bear with the in-laws, who have zero concept of personal space. Three hours with the in-laws feels like three months of root canals. (Mana, if you're reading this, now I need that drink.) wink

What is to give light must endure burning.