Puffin, that is exactly what we (all three of us) have decided. After talking to two other parents who have scrabbled their way through classes with this guy, it's LIKELY to be a no-win situation in direct contact, and *may* make things even worse for my DD...

but in the end, we're short-timers with our eyes on the prize.

The end justifies the means at some point when the system itself becomes clearly irrational. If you see what I mean.

I care that she LEARNS from her two math classes-- I want the best possible foundation coming out of those two experiences, and anything that doesn't serve that end is going under the bus. Period.

I also care that she learn from one of her other classes (this is the other area which is both redeemable in curricular terms and has a good teacher running the show).

Beyond that, we care only that her last year of high school not DAMAGE her future.

She's eager and MORE than ready for college.

I felt awful when I picked her up yesterday; she sat in on a 200-ish level Honors class (invited as part of the interview process) and the professor was clearly enthusiastic and DELIGHTED to have her there as an active participant. I was not involved at all in anything but providing her with transportation. She IS independent and ready.

It just was a huge letdown for Cinderella to come back to earth and realize that the ball was over and that she was back to the rats and pumpkin. frown She told me yesterday in a kind of sad wistful voice that the professor described his grading process as a rational, holistic thing-- not a rubric or multiple choice question, or five-sentence "essay" in sight. Class discussions are about presenting deep thinking and responding thoughtfully to others in response to the GROUP experience with the readings. She was in HEAVEN.

So she knows that the light at the end of the tunnel is daylight-- not a train. She's just got to do what it takes to get there. I'm so done with this school.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.