Good advice for a B&M setting, Indigo.

smile

Not-so-good for the virtual setting, where some of that is "N/A" or "Huh?" by virtue of the model.

I'm actually responsible for a number of things in this model-- like recording attendance.

Dual enrollment is through a regional CC-- teachers and courses are certified by that institutions, students sign up through the CC for dual enrollment, and teachers turn in grades at the end of the school year. The course itself is taught through the high school, and she COULD take the course without dual enrollment. (Really.)

I explain that because I understand this sounds like I must be leaving something out, it's so weird. laugh Well, it's just really that bizarre, that's all.

The teachers never necessarily even MEET the kids they "teach."

Contact time is quite minimal-- as little as nothing at all, in some classes. Textbook and embedded multimedia lessons, and a hard deadline at the end. That's it for a "course schedule."

In this model, frequently the bureaucracy being obscured from parents/students means that navigating advocacy is NOT a job for students, no matter how capable. Most parents aren't up to it, frankly. It's a fortress. frown

I also suspect VERY strongly that the major communication barrier (contributing heavily to the teacher's favorite mode of communication, evidently) is a language barrier. It's the reason he doesn't DO phone calls or live lessons/meetings. He's nice-- but he really isn't completely fluent in English. That also ups the ante in terms of advocacy for any high school student. DD is pretty good with heavily accented English, and she's great with cultural sensitivity, but she doesn't yet know the most common verbal cues for "I'm really not following this" with various national/cultural/regional identities.

She depends on body language a lot. That's missing entirely here.

Last edited by HowlerKarma; 10/03/13 04:35 PM.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.