Quirky is right! Luckily, the kids' friends find their quirks endearing.

My older DS liked to pretend he was a bird, always sitting on his eggs and finding worms, when he was 3ish. Now, as a teenager, he likes to collect all kinds of things, from recyclable paper to bottles to jars. He is also currently into watching every last episode of Little House on the Prairie.

DD always has the most interesting birthday and Christmas lists - nothing like those of her teenage peers: unicycle, stilts, anything from ThinkGeek. This year, when she turned 12, she asked for drywall stilts and a colorful (fake) tiger head to mount on her wall. She could care less if her hair is brushed. And her favorite shows are Psych, Big Bang Theory, and Say Yes to the Dress.

Younger DS used to lay in bed, when he was three, calling out multiplication facts and asking us if he'd figured them out correctly in his head. When he was a baby he wouldn't eat if the silverware drawer wasnt' closed completely. When he was fourish, before he would read a page in a book, he always had to point to the middle line first. Later, he insisted on only reading chapter books with exactly ten chapters. Oh, and in preschool, his goal for the first year was to never have to use the bathroom - just because he thought that would be a fun goal and it kept school interesting!

And DH and I are no more muggle-like than the kids.

BTW: Threads like this remind me of why I love you guys!

She thought she could, so she did.