Originally Posted by Portia
Just a side note: in the 3 months DS took the individual session, he advanced 3 grades. When I tried to get math advancement in school, they still refused.

The fact that this might - okay, probably will happen, does somewhat concern me, as homeschooling isn't in the cards for us. However, as far as I can tell, he already knows the 1st and 2nd grade math curricula, so he is going to be bored in school during math anyway for this year and next, and I am certain he will learn third grade math before third grade even if I don't teach him.. And I'm not happy just waiting for years until he finally gets to learn something new in school. It seems cruel to try keep him at the same level until the other kids catch up when he really, really wants to learn.

It's a hard decision. His school will definitely be unhappy with me when they find out he is taking online accelerated math classes at home. (And they will find out, because I am certain he will tell them. smile They seem to really believe that their math "challenge" sheets and "built-in enrichment" should be enough to keep his interest, or at least to keep him from being bored to tears.

Last edited by momoftwins; 09/30/13 09:55 AM.