My ds is older, but has done a few CTY courses and did a bit of after-schooling in math in elementary (not CTY or EPGY). Then, and now, we pick courses that are self-paced, and he usually *doesn't* work on them a little bit every day, but instead chooses to work in chunks on weekends or vacation or days when he has a lot of free time. My ds enjoys the courses, so it's not something we've pushed him to do - it's been his idea. He likes having a course and curriculum - I think he enjoys the learning and also feels like he's moving toward a goal at the same time.

I like that CTY (and EPGY etc) give you a grade and a transcript - whether or not your child can ultimately get credit for it, it at least gives you data to use when advocating for placement.

polarbear

ps - the other benefit of doing an organized class through something like CTY is that you have a curriculum that you can point to and compare to your school district and state curriculum when questions of gaps/what was covered etc comes up. BTW, I'm not trying to advertise CTY, just mentioned it because that's the talent search that is recognized in our area and that we've used.

Last edited by polarbear; 09/27/13 12:44 PM.