That sounds pretty great, cricket3!

How does the grouping manifest - in DS gifted school they read at their levels and supposedly get homework in reading spelling and math tailored to their assessed levels. But since parents aren't comparing homework sets how do you know they are doing different work?

I knew there were two math groups in DD's gifted class last year because the teacher told us. I think she just figured--get it out there. It was determined via pretest. Reading, spelling, and everything else have all been lockstep. frown

In my DS's case (he is in K--NOT in the gifted school yet), he is being differentiated through color-coded work presented in boxes. Much of their "work time" happens when they get sent to the boxes and work independently. DS and his classmates all know to look for the work with their colors on it. The box time is quite a long block of his day--75 minutes or something. Then he also has differentiated reading and math groups that meet with the teacher. So, as as a gen ed kid, he is far more differentiated than his sister.