Originally Posted by Dude
Originally Posted by Irena
The thing is Santa really isn't real. I mean the whole story is indeed a fraud as is the tooth fairy and everyone does find this out sooner or later. That isn't the same as a religious belief - santa and tooth fairies are indeed provable fraud. My DS makes this distinction easily and I think it is indeed an important one.

There are a great many things that are provably not real, like [insert favorite conspiracy theory here], but people believe in fervently anyway, and the point is that arguing with such people is, at best, a waste of time, at worst, an invitation to violence. Learning to choose your battles in these situations is an important life skill.

No doubt ... my issue is that the Santa story and the Tooth Fairy (and Easter bunny) are quite simply not the same as "religious beliefs" and beliefs about the spiritual world and afterlife. I am just seconding the suggestion of
"encouraging the same behaviour that blackcat lists under the heading of "be aware that these are topics where some adults like to tell lies to children for reasons that seem good to them, and people may get upset if you try to tell the children the truth". Much easier for your child to understand concretely, and more honest IMHO."
I simply do not think saying belief in such stories are or the equivalent of religious beliefs.

Last edited by Irena; 09/12/13 01:13 PM.