Yeah-- I agree. It really resonated with me because of our deep longing, and our hope being tempered with fear of losing our DD (both before birth and then once we were confronted with her medical vulnerability).

I look at those months between her birth and her first medical crisis as a kind of-- well, a sort of time-out-of-time, in some respects.

It's the only time that we really had where we didn't have fear peeking over the shoulder of our love/joy in having her. "Normal" worrying seems so sweet and poignant that I kind of treasure those moments when they happen, even now. So much else isn't normal and never will be.

I don't know if that explains why I don't see that book as "creepy" but it's interesting that others who have had to walk (metaphorically) with a beloved child's mortality seem to respond to it the same way. If your love is boundless, then the loss is as well, and the time that we have is unbelievably precious. It is hard to put it into words. {sniff-sniff} Just thinking about it makes me weepy.

Interesting, Aquinas. Thanks so much for sharing that back-story.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.