Oh boy, yes, been there. I agree with what the others have said both about telling them what happens/skipping to the end and about the odd selectivity of what gets to children sometimes. (Well, same is true for me too, come to that; I can take some things in my stride and be poleaxed by something apparently much less, and I wouldn't be that good at predicting which things would get to me, even now, I think. It probably depends on my internal state as much as on the things. Although there are certain things that get me every time... can anyone else read aloud or hear read the end of The House at Pooh Corner without dissolving into tears? I can't, which is embarrassing as they use it as a reading at DS's school end of year service every year!)

Sounds as though others did the same as I did: try not to set limits on what DS read because of this, but let him opt out as necessary.

At 9 it's much better, I agree. But it got worse rather than better for quite a while after 22 months, I'm afraid!

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail