Okay...I am not steaming mad anymore and things are on the right path so I can fill you all in.

So, this week the new principal told me no my son couldn't accelerate to the next grade math. He ONLY got an 82% and an 85% on two pretests for 3rd grade level math...even though he completed 3rd grade level math last year (with his 2nd grade teacher last year). My thoughts were...if you give the kids actually in 4th grade the 3rd grade pretest...how many of them would get 82% and 85%? Or would they be perfect? I am sure there is a 15% of the stuff that the kids have to be retaught. I am willing to analyze the pretest and fill in any gaps he has.

I went and talked to his last year's teacher today and she sent me to the district level gifted person. I had a discussion with the gifted coordinator over the phone this afternoon. I gave her his IQ score (they are not kept in the computer so she doesn't have access to them unless she is looking at his physical cum folder) and a Woodcock Johnson set of scores (which was done by outside testing and isn't in his cum) and I gave her all the details of the situation.

This person said that the previous decision was not correct and we need to fix it. The actual cutoff is 80% I don't know what score the principal actually wanted, 90%? 100%? And a few other things that she noted are wrong with his situation (he is not being served at all by a gifted endorsed teacher). SO, she is calling another meeting where she will be there. On the table is fixing it so he can get the next level of math and possibly a whole grade skip will be discussed.

I hope I don't become enemy number one of the principal for going to the gifted coordinator. But if I don't seek out the right education for my son, who will?

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary