Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
A GIEP isn't the equal of a disability-related one. Not even close. The feds don't even CARE about GIEP's for students without disabilities.

What that means in pragmatic terms is that unless it's written into state law that students are ENTITLED to appropriate education as a result of being identified as gifted and having a GIEP... there isn't any way to get enforcement of what is written in that plan.

frown

ITA.

A few things you can do - first, look up your state law re gifted ed - there might be a bit of backbone there depending on where you are at.

Second, when you approach the staff, approach with the expectation that the school will deliver on what was promised at the end of last year and written into the gifted IEP. The GIEP might not carry any legal weight, but there must be some value in it within your school district, otherwise GIEPs wouldn't exist. So while on the one hand, you don't really have Federal legal arguments to jump on in your defense, I'd still approach how you deal with the issue with the school in the same way I'd approach the school if they were not following through on services outlined in an IEP for an LD etc. The first step is simply to bring it to their attention and request that the services be provided. It looks like this is happening with the meeting you'll be attending, and it sounds like your ds' school is proactively attempting to provide your ds with differentiation - so that's all good! If the school says they can't provide differentiated/accelerated math, ask why not. Not of an individual teacher, but ask the entire GIEP team. Email that question in writing.

And if the teachers meeting today results in the school saying "no" to the previously agreed upon GIEP plan - is there someone at the district level you can contact and ask questions of re this - head of the district's gifted department (if the district has one)? I would call and ask for their advice re how to meet what is outlined in the GIEP and how it's been accomplished at other schools. You can also ask what the district's policy is for parents to appeal when a GIEP isn't being followed through.

I hope your meeting goes well!

polarbear