Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
Technically, unless this is a GIEP administered under state law, or the child is 2e and therefore a qualified individual with a disability, they don't. frown

I'm by no means an expert regarding special education or IEPs, so if I'm completely off base here, someone chime in....but, I didn't realize there was any other type of GIEP not covered under state law. Otherwise I would assume it wouldn't be called an IEP. I agree an IEP based on giftedness can't be compared to an IEP based on a disability and GIEP's don't carry the same weight or follow the same rules as a disability IEP.

Luckily, our state "includes children who demonstrate characteristics of giftedness in the special education laws and regulations" and therefore qualify for an IEP. It is all about showing a "need". A child can be gifted, but not "need" any special services same as a child can have a disability, but not "need" any services.

Now IDEA is a totally different beast and does not pertain to a child that is solely gifted without a disability. FAPE is also hard to use with a solely gifted child since "appropriate" is so hard to define and "educational progress" can be shown in many ways.

If Sweetie's son has a "signed, sealed, delivered" GIEP and school is ignoring what was agreed upon by all interested parties, then how can they not be in violation? It is an issue of due process (if the state allows due process for gifted). If school won't or can't follow the GIEP then they need to call the IEP team back together and work it out, but they can't just not follow the IEP!

Sweetie - I think you are handling this in the right way...a meeting with school to find out what is going on and see what can be done to fix this snafu. Let us know how things go!