Originally Posted by 1frugalmom
Originally Posted by cc6
The other thing is envisions is HUGE on using counters, ten-frame's etc and just drawing them, counting them etc, if teacher requires all work- this can make a child like mine, and i'm sure most all kids here, very frustrated- he can glance at 2+3=? and say "5". quick. nooooo envisions req child to draw out counters or to count and write the quantity down etc, and I found myself spending more time last year trying to talk DS6 into doing that-showing that "work" than it took for him to get a whole topic done!

The program still uses counters in 4th grade for single digit multiplication. DD was drawing arrays a couple nights ago on an "enrichment" page. Luckily since this is new to her, she was sort of enjoying picking what she drew pictures of - smiley faces, lightning bolts, etc. and was taking her time to draw each one out. However, if she has to continue to use arrays, I doubt her creativity will last long and her neatness will dwindle down to messy squiggles and simple x's and o's.

My son would so draw brownies. He writes spelling sentences all about brownies. Brownies is his default thing to put some fun into school.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary