Originally Posted by cc6
The other thing is envisions is HUGE on using counters, ten-frame's etc and just drawing them, counting them etc, if teacher requires all work- this can make a child like mine, and i'm sure most all kids here, very frustrated- he can glance at 2+3=? and say "5". quick. nooooo envisions req child to draw out counters or to count and write the quantity down etc, and I found myself spending more time last year trying to talk DS6 into doing that-showing that "work" than it took for him to get a whole topic done!

now? I gave him the 2nd grade workbook, picked the most difficult topics for him to do- TIME, FRACTIONS, MULTIPLICATION CONCEPTS, MULT FACTS, DIVISION, and he did them all in a matter of hours! There are just 20 topics in this book.

On my own, we have moved onto the 3rd gr envision math workbook. Again, nothng really new so far, just dbl digit add/subt... no telling time or $ topics AT ALL.

Oh crap - we had a problem with this last year - the drawing of boxes and such ... It was really a problem because it was hard for my DS to draw all those boxes neatly and he would tire so much more, etc. drawing all these stupid boxes. I guess that was envision. Fortunately, my son already knows money ... Perhaps keeping him in mathnasium will help. And doing IXL but this math nonsense is so annoying - why is it no one can get teaching math right in this country?