Now here is a topic I can add to!

DS6 began enVision math worksheets in kinder fall 2012, moved to public independent study program winter 2012 & skipped to 1st gr, so he rec'd the 1st enVision Math Workbook to work on. Unfortunately for 1st he ONLY rec'd the workbook. It starts out very sloooow and never seems to speed up!

This year for 2nd grade, he has rec'd not just the 2nd gr workbook but also the "teachers edition" & actual 4pg color lesson worksheets.

It is HORRIBLE! Not only does it not seem to introduce topics in any type of order, it tries to teach various topics in so many different styles vs focus on one, that it is hard to follow. rather convoluted and drawn out. and does not go deep enough into any given subject...it is also WAY too simple!

DS6 complained about the 1st gr being too easy. Now he complains about the 2nd grade.

The other thing is envisions is HUGE on using counters, ten-frame's etc and just drawing them, counting them etc, if teacher requires all work- this can make a child like mine, and i'm sure most all kids here, very frustrated- he can glance at 2+3=? and say "5". quick. nooooo envisions req child to draw out counters or to count and write the quantity down etc, and I found myself spending more time last year trying to talk DS6 into doing that-showing that "work" than it took for him to get a whole topic done!

now? I gave him the 2nd grade workbook, picked the most difficult topics for him to do- TIME, FRACTIONS, MULTIPLICATION CONCEPTS, MULT FACTS, DIVISION, and he did them all in a matter of hours! There are just 20 topics in this book.

On my own, we have moved onto the 3rd gr envision math workbook. Again, nothng really new so far, just dbl digit add/subt... no telling time or $ topics AT ALL.

I am going to go ahead and work thru this, while also having him do 3rd gr Singapore, and (don't laugh!) a Sylvan Learning 3rd gr Math bk I picked up @Costco! IT is actually more comprehensive than the enVisons program is! and it is in Color. DS6 finds it at least visually stimulating!

personal complaints of mine are- envisions does not go deep enough into any topic, but espectially telling time or $$ which I think are two important subjects.

*also because the envisions program is so simple- I honestly don't know if my DS6 is at 3rd/4th grade level math or that this program just doesn't expect kids to know anything @2nd grade level? (that said, the 3rd gr also simple- why I am supplementing with other programs)

Bottom Line? if a child is advanced in math, this program will most likely not teach him a whole lot, and more likely to cause frustrations for the child...

Last edited by cc6; 08/31/13 04:59 PM. Reason: spelling lol

One can never consent to creep when
one feels an impulse to soar!
~Helen Keller