Update.
Well, I did listen to everyone saying that I should meet with the principal right away but I also took seriously the comments about taking examples of advanced work or the reading level from kindergarten testing etc with me to the meeting. She was never testing for reading in kindergarten at all. I honestly don't know how any of the kids in her class learned to read as they seemed to do very little reading. The teacher told me at our parent conference at the end of Nov that she would be put with a group of 4 kids in the 2 paired kindergarten classes that were fluent readers and she would be given leveled reading on a weekly basis. This translated to about 4 times during the rest of the school year where she sat in a group of 4 kids and a teacher and they read very very easy reader books out loud together and then brought that book home to practice. My 2 year old could almost read those books! She wasn't even allowed to chose any book she wanted at the library when they went every week. The librarian just set books out that they could chose from. Anyway, my point is that I do not have any advanced work to show anyone as she wasn't given any at school and we don't school at home. We may research things or talk about some things at home as the opportunity arises but she is not a child who enjoys doing worksheets or writing things down. Add to that my uncertainty about how gifted she really is......I mean sure, I know she is pretty bright but perhaps after reading about gifted children I am just overestimating her abilities. I don't know. Silly most likely but I believe there are an awful lot of parents in this area that think there child is gifted whether or not they really are and I don't want to be blown off as one of those parents.

Bottom line...... she is doing the WISC tomorrow. I have not met with the principal yet. I am going to get the results and then decide what to do with them. Perhaps I am wrong and she is just high ability or regular gifted and then I can just relax a bit (or obsess over what went wrong on testing day) and see how school starts off. The private psychologist that is doing the testing told me she has worked with students at her school and mentioned that right now the principal is being challenged by having quite a few very bright kids in the second grade class and is working on plans for appropriate differentiation. That sounded promising. Too bad it isn't the 1st grade class.

I am a little nervous though. As soon as I confirmed the appointment yesterday she started to sneeze and has runny nose. I debated greatly about rescheduling but it seemed ideal to get it done before school starts and I am off this week. She didn't seem too sick today though still a little congested. I hope that wasn't a bad decision.