From personal experience, ds 6 just finished k. Get testing, then talk to the principal. Our meeting with the principal would have been a waste of time without the numbers to back us. (We live in a district where everyone thinks their child is gifted and/ or should be in gt program.) the principal took one look at the numbers and was very willing to listen and work with us. Also, the teacher made a complete 180. (I will say that we kept saying teacher tried, not enough. Teacher would try again, w/I a week, not enough. So, we said she tried and just focused on next year.)

Yes, testing was pricey. However, for us, we also learned ds has a eye teaming issue needing vision therapy (though he reads 4th level easily). We also were validated (as was my son) and gained a great resource who I know we are going to need to use again. Overall, it felt worth it to both me and my husband (dh didn't quite get it before- "he'll be fine" kind of thing).

Use your gut. You know your child better than anyone else. Btw, my ds just missed dys cut off (due to vision stuff. Was told if he retested would be atleast 10 pts higher after vt). With that in mind, the neuropsych who rested ds said if the principal doesn't want to accommodate ds, pull him from the school. So, I know you said numbers didn't help others. Well, maybe another school or school environment would help. No one wants their dc acting completely different/ unlike self at school. All kids deal with stress differently. Yet, at this young age, we need to help them by advocating.

Hope a couple of these thoughts help:)
Good luck and keep us posted!