I agree to speak with the principal ASAP. DS5.5 is going into first grade this year after a very boring year of K. He had early entrance but still, no challenge what so ever. They did let him skip K math and do 1st grade...OK, not any better since he is doing long division at Kumon at the moment.

" For example, he has been able to count to twenty since he was two, but started to make mistakes in counting on his worksheets because they were so boring, which were then counted against him for grading"

This happened to DS as well. He had multiple mistakes on a worksheet that he had done in school with problems like 8+4. Complete boredom, and sloppy work because of it.

We did speak to the lower school principal who clearly doesn't get him yet. Has had no real exposure at all. Our word is all we have AND the test results that I don't even think registered with her. We did however agree that he will be allowed a tutor to come in for math class. (He is in private school) They will put him in a different room at school for math. Still, even though his K teacher has explained to her on what level DS is in both math and reading I am not sure she took it seriously. His K teacher is new to K and has previously taught the 3's. Next year he will be with a 29 year veteran who hopefully will see him for what he is and report to the principal. I am thinking she will listen to this teacher.

Ask about acceleration. Say that you would be willing to do it on a trial basis. Ask about subject acceleration (although this is hard if your child is many years ahead), possible in the classroom advanced work. But do it now.