My DS is 7 and is similar in some ways. He doesn’t like to work or focus on anything (other than Minecraft). In first grade he tested 6th grade reading and spelling level via multiple assessment types; meanwhile, the boy has yet to read a real chapter book…. Unless we want to count the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series which he blew through in K.
He is my second gifty. Unlike my first, he hates watching documentaries and non-fiction animal shows, hates coloring and writing, rolls his eyes when I point out anything scientific or mention anything remotely intellectual, hates reading but will compromise with audiobooks, rarely gives his best effort in school work…you get the picture.

It took me a little while to realize/accept that:

#1 All gifties are not the same. My DS is not going to be like his older “textbook gifty” DD and this is not a bad thing.

#2 Working WITH my DS’ personality at this age is far more important than pushing against it or trying to change it. Once I learned to laugh at his Negative Nancy approach to life, he loosened up a bit.

#3 Regardless of how it seems: my son is not a stubborn grumpy old man. He is only 7 and still has a lot of changing and maturing to do.

#4 It is possible that my son may not ever reach the potential of what I interpret his IQ score to mean for his life. I must always be open to the possibility that it is my interpretation which is flawed and needs changing, not him.

~ just my thoughts for what they are worth