Polarbear, I really cannot thank you enough for your wonderful insight.

Another test that can be helpful teasing out issues with writing is the TOWL (Test of Written Language) - has he had that? It's typically given by schools or OTs evaluating for learning disabilities related to writing.

He has not had this. I think it is important that he does, though. The OTs we've seen haven't seemed very knowledgeable in the area, so I guess we are going to have to request it from the school.

The test the SLP gave that she used to diagnose was the CELP (I think that's the correct acronym!)... he had a large discrepancy between two subtests and two other subtests but all of his scores were above average (the discrepancy was between something like 99th percentile and 61st percentile... again... I'm just going from memory so I may be incorrect!).

I will definitely get him in for another SLP eval and request that test.

If homework is taking a long time and it's only providing him with opportunities for endless repetition rather than helping introduce new concepts, you can add an accommodation for reduced homework or extended deadlines - my ds' math teacher lets him choose one of each type of problem to do each night and doesn't require him to do more if he doesn't have the time.

Yes, almost everything he did last year was endless repetition. Aside from writing, he is very academically advanced and requires little repetition to master the material.

There are three subtests on the NEPSY that test "finger tapping" (and repeating hand signals) - difficulties on this test point to fine motor coordination issues that happen with some kids with dysgraphia. Visual processing challenges can also cause dysgraphia - that's something that should show on the Beery VMI.

Yeah, she only gave him the NEPSY subtests related to diagnosing ADHD, unfortunately. Visual processing is his strong suit, so I don't think there are issues there. I really think he needs to have the TOWL and CELP.

Does he still have an odd pencil grip? That could indicate an issue with handwriting, but it might not mean anything.

Yes, he does. It seems so strange to me that for years he would hold it correctly without any instruction at all and then all of a sudden start with a different grip. He is also very resistant to doing anything to change it, because it is too hard for him.

Do you think the mm and uhs are his way of stalling while he tries to think of what to say?

It does seem like it. He also takes a long time to come up with what he is going to say.

Have you paid attention to see if your ds has more trouble with certain types of speech (the type that correlate with open-ended questions etc, similar to where he struggles with writing?).

Oh yes, open-ended questions are much harder for him to answer, just like with writing.

I'm probably biased in this respect since science is my love and career - but fwiw, I absolutely believe he'll be a-ok! Whether or not he ever figures out how to write. One thing that I've found to be really important for my ds is to keep giving him opportunities to follow his passions and areas of strength in spite of having to put in extra work in the area he's challenged in. I also try to keep *his* eye on the long term, and remind him that while he'll need to produce creative writing in high school, once he's in college it's quite likely he'll only have to focus on technical writing, and that really is easier for my ds, and I suspect it will be for your ds too based on what you've written here

Thank you for writing this. I try really hard to find ways for him to follow his strengths and passions (outside classes/camps mostly).