Originally Posted by master of none
I think it boils down to performance in school. Does your dd need the more advanced class? If so, I'd use the evidence of her past performance to push for the advanced class.

I agree with mon, and would also contact the new school to request the acceleration. First, I'd try to get a copy of the test if at all possible, plus I'd put together a few other things:

1) Is her past work in math (in school) stellar? As on report cards and tests? If so, this is good evidence to have with you when you talk to the school.

2) Do you think last year's teacher would give her a recommendation for the acceleration? If so, I don't think you need to actually *get* anything from the teacher (which you most likely can't now anyway since it's summer), but I'd mention that when talking to the new school.

3) Did you keep any records from the work she did this summer in Aleks? If she completed the full (whichever) course in 3 weeks, that's good evidence that she learns math quickly without repetition. Do you still have the Aleks subscription? If you do, you could make custom quizzes for her to take to show mastery, as well as printing off the report that shows course module mastery vs your state's curriculum standards. Also keep any types of other work she did this summer that show what she knows.

What type of math course is she actually enrolled in this coming year? I only ask that question because middle school is where our school district starts tracking kids - so that there are actually two different levels of "6th grade math", one of which leads to Calculus during high school. If your dd is on that track already, it's possible middle school math might be much less boring than what she had in elementary school - particularly if she's finally being taught by an actual math teacher as opposed to a general ed teacher.

Last thought - is there a way to get your dd's voice into this? Have her write up a request with the reasons she wants to accelerate etc? I'm not sure how I'd do it but fwiw, once we hit middle school here, the teachers et al wanted to hear from the students more than the parents re what the students wanted.

Good luck advocating for your dd!

polarbear