We are sorting out some overlapping issues with my DS8. He also had a giant gap between processing speed and other WISC scores. Inspired by common sense, Polarbear, and others here, we investigated further, given that the WISC processing speed tests involve so many types of skills and we wanted to figure out where the problem mapped. Visual processing tests revealed very STRONG visual processing in general and very, very slow writing. Quality of writing was pretty reasonable, actually, but speed was way behind. For us, this visual processing testing has felt very helpful because it is focusing us on where he needs help--ie., very specifically with writing. Also, I previously didn't really buy that he had fine motor issues because he plays the violin and knits. But writing is apparently a very specific type of task. So now we're pursuing OT, which I am finally convinced is likely a fruitful path.

Related--though I am still learning about this, so don't know much yet--he apparently has retained some "primitive reflexes," which might be contributing. When the tester moved one part of his body, others moved too. I asked the visual processing assessor (a visual therapist) how that might affect writing and he pointed out that when my son moves his head (to look at a piece of paper he was writing on, for instance), his hand wants to open--so his brain has to do a lot of extra work while writing.

Good luck with the explorations!

Last edited by evelyn; 07/02/13 03:12 PM.