Cricket2, I see your points, but I still disagree.

Especially when it is something that others fight to get, for instance, it becomes muddy.

Many kids and their parents go to extremes to get a spot on varsity teams. Yet we don't question the appropriateness of team yearbook photos.

If the curly- or red-haired kids had formed a club that operated at school, it would be correct to take a photo for the yearbook. But in that case, they might not be celebrating something they were born with, and that's okay.

My point is that there is nothing wrong with celebrating (or simply acknowledging) that some people are born a certain way. It is okay to be who you are, and you shouldn't have to hide things about yourself that are normal and healthy. IMO, "diversity" means that there is a huge range of human variation, both on the outside and on the inside. Mistreating kids in school based on cognitive ability is the same fundamental wrong as mistreating people based on sex or race or any other arbitrary difference (obviously, there are differences in degree, but the foundation is the same).

Sure, some parents get way too invested in Little Johnny being gifted and get resentful and envious when they meet someone smarter. But this doesn't mean we have to allow bad behavior of others to drive or keep cognitive giftedness in the closet.

Last edited by Val; 06/23/13 10:56 AM.