It isn't at all that I think that gifted kids should be made to hide or not celebrated. It is more that I think that this type of thing is, as someone mentioned above, a way to me of making the program appear to be an honor society or something that you strive to get into. I think that it enhances the problem I see with GT programs really not being about innate differences but more about status.

As to whether we should celebrate things with photos in the yearbook that are simply about the way our kids were born, yes and no. I'm torn here. For instance, my dd12 has lovely curly hair which she is finally seeming to accept and not spend all of her time straightening so it looks like other kids'. I'm glad that she's finally embracing the way her hair grows in. OTOH, I can't imagine the school putting a picture of all of the curly haired kids in the yearbook or all of the blond kids or .... You get my point.

Especially when it is something that others fight to get, for instance, it becomes muddy. Say, for example, if getting into the red haired class was a source of pride and kids were dying their hair red to get in, would we be saying that there should be a photo of the red haired kids in the school yearbook b/c our redheads should be proud of their hair? What if 75% of the "redheads" had dyed hair and we were all pretending that they didn't? That's kind of what I see GT being. A class of pseudo redheads where we all are expected to pretend that they are all natural in the interest of not asking the actual redheads to hide.

As far as LGT students, I see it somewhat differently in that it is a traditionally marginalized group so joining a club of others who are also born that way, to steal Lady Gaga's lyrics, and putting a picture of the group in the yearbook isn't so likely to engender competition to be a part of the group to which you do not legitimately belong. I don't know, maybe I am not expressing myself well here.