We have a total mix here although I think we lean towards an unschooling approach on the scale.

Monday and Friday we have an unschooling group that meets together. We have activity areas set up and we have a fabulous young lady who runs organised activities and topics for those who want to join in. This is on average 11 kids aged 2 - 11yrs.

Tuesday Aiden (6) attends a very small local homeschool group for HG+ kids. There are 3 boys in the group and they do a mixture of activities in reading, maths, English, art and an assortment of other fun things.

While he is out Nathan (4.5 yrs) and Dylan (2yrs)do loads of fun play games. Nathan usually chooses to bake something, do some maths and write an essay of some sort.

Wednesday is our quiet at home day. We have work times scattered throughout the day and we play games, and do some stuff related to our theme. Never more than 20 minutes at a time followed by at least an hour of playing. Sometimes we go out on Wed too - to a park or museum or to do the shopping if we need to.

Thursday we do some stuff in the morning and SEMAS maths late morning for all three boys with more at home stuff - mostly continuation of anything they want to work on - in the afternoon.

Tues and Thurs evenings they go to tae kwon do.

Each day they practice music (violin and Nathan does Piano as well) and have PC time - Dreambox learning, Reading Eggs, Timez Attack, Wizard 101, typing games etc.

I am rambling a bit I guess. For us the big thing is that we do some work at their own levels and then loads of happy time activities to build self esteem, work on life skills and emotional stuff, spend time together as a family and lots of chill and kids play time. They are always climbing trees, jumping on the trampoline or in their club house or jungle gym.

If I have to average it I'd say that that we do at most 1.5 hours of "work" where I am guiding them with set learning directives, and this is always always based on their expressed desires and interests. It's normally around 40 - 60 minutes actually. We get through so much stuff and I keep trying to cut back, esp for Nathan... He is so little and flies through stuff so we do a lot of meandering and discovering things that interest him.

If my thoughts are hazy my apologies. Its 2am here now. smile

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)