Originally Posted by MumOfThree
It's fantastic that they have had such a turn around, my immediate thought though is that they may not necessarily be looking to skip him to the level they are testin at. I am guessing they're making a genuine attempt to find out how far off level he is, but it doesn't automatically follow they will do a full grade skip to that level.

Yes, this.

Though...

on the other side of this, you may need to be prepared to advocate for additional levels up in evaluating ability/readiness if he hits ceilings on the tools that they've opted to use.

This was our biggest error in skipping DD6 into 3rd-- in retrospect, that was probably not enough. But we, like MoN (and others) were just too shell-shocked to know what it meant that our barely-6-yo without any real "formal" education to speak of had just 99'ed across the board on an out-of-level full achievement battery, where her GREATEST frustration was with the glacial pace of the "correct" test administration (that is, me reading her the instructions, which she insisted she'd be happier reading TO HERSELF, and the choppy breaks between sections... oh, and the 'too short' reading selections).

IN retrospect, we should have gone up another two grades and evaluated her again to see if we could get her down away from the ceilings in at least a few areas.

Secondly, many of those batteries do NOT do a good job evaluating what is often a PG child's weakest area academically-- written output. This can lag into adolescence relative to academic peers, but it is really not a good idea to try to "hold" them at the level of the written output, as difficult as it is to accelerate with that situation.

We've tried to keep things so that the written output level was-- at worst-- about "low average for grade" and know that she'll rapidly acclimate to the demands. She has.

It's fantastic that your school is seeing that your child is the real deal! VERY encouraging in terms of building a working partnership with them. laugh

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.