Originally Posted by ellemenope
Originally Posted by Bostonian
A very small fraction of the population earns a living through sports or music, but for many people, the level they reach in the occupational hierarchy is limited by IQ, so of course parents are more sensitive to even indirect information about the IQ of other children.

I really do not think this is true, nor do I believe most parents are sensitive to this. And, it very well could by a sport or fine art that becomes a child's passion that drives their academic success later. That is important, too. And, a child with a higher IQ could be lacking this.

I think that if one believes that the higher the IQ of a child the more successful in life they will be (i.e. their occupation,) then I bet that comes across in the way one interacts with other parents. Maybe they are sensitive to that.

Yes, arrogance/superiority pretty much never comes across as "friendly and approachable." I know that I don't like it either, even if other parents believe that it destines my child for "greatness." Honestly, the few times that someone has called my DD out like that, she and I both have just cringed. I don't like the implication in terms of placing very specific (maybe unrealistic?) external expectations on her young shoulders, and she doesn't like being held up as a "golden child" to her peers.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.