I totally sympathize with some of your worries. Our DD isn't even at the level that yours is at and we have some of the same concerns. We live in a rural area and the concern that perhaps limited teaching resources available locally may not be enough to sufficiently challenge/engage my DD did 'cross my mind' - several million times .

It is a bit 'out freaking' at first - over time you get used to it. It is a bit of a roller coaster - one day you are thinking "why can't she be 'normal'?" and other days worry that given her potential you should be doing more to 'enrich'/feed the flames of her rapacious curiosity. Over time, I think that things get better but if you are prone to over analyzing (read worry - just like me) then it can be difficult at times - like everything else, you will eventually adapt to the new 'normal' smile

We have found that it is really important to engage the school district if at all possible - we have been lucky so far (and God willing long may this last) - we went out of our way to present it as an 'issue' that we needed help over and were anxious to address as a 'team' with the school district staff and ourselves instead of 'demanding differentiation etc'. I like to think that most school district staff want to help families with 'problems' so when it is presented in those terms we have found that the staff have been sympathetic.

Having said all that we are about to embark on some targeted acceleration/enrichment with our DD within the school district so I can only speak from the position of having very limited experience of this so far...

Become what you are