Originally Posted by Kriston
Most schools I've heard of don't group for reading anymore either. I know ours doesn't.

As I understand it, grouping (teaching kids in groups of similar ability and/or achievement) got unfairly associated with tracking (once you're on this track you can't get off it) in the minds of many people, and it has lately been considered an elitist teaching strategy. As that's frowned upon, there's a lot less grouping than there used to be. It's a shame because it's one proven teaching strategy that allows kids of all ability levels to advance.

Count your lucky stars that you have grouping in reading! Maybe you can get them to apply that idea to math, too. More power to you!

(While you're at it, can you get reading groups back in my local school, please?)

wink

I was just talking to a 4th grade teacher about this the other day. Apparently we don't do tracking or ability grouping by classes (which is what we had when I was in school), but we do WITHIN the classes. This 4th grade teacher is at our school and teaches math and science. She explained that she teaches math to small groups of students. The small group method is required by the principal. She loves it because it makes her job easier when she has such varied levels within the same class.

I didn't realize others don't have reading groups anymore. I guess things are behind the times here in TX. wink In this case, I guess I'm glad.