Hi Jool! I'm sorry to hear about your battle.

Dottie's idea of going through due process seems like a good place to start. And if you are looking for your own information you could get a copy of the Iowa Acceleration Scale. I bought one recently from B&N.com, and I know Amazon sells them too. I wanted one just to see where my daughter falls on the scales, and if we wanted to start the acceleration process I wouldn't be in the dark about it. It requires test scores, but I assume you have them for your application to DYS.

I don't understand why teachers and schools are so hesitant to offer accelerated math. Isn't that exactly what they do in reading groups? I mean, my DD6 is in K but her little reading group of 3 is reading books at the 3rd grade level in their reading sessions. This seems perfectly normal for the subject of reading; I don't see why it can't be the same for math. At our school I do think that they try to somewhat individualize by teaching math in small groups within the classroom, but I don't think they do it as well as they do with reading. I can imagine your frustration.

I'm still new at this myself but have felt very welcome here. I think you will too. I wish you the best!

Amy