Yes, if it's a lawyer - most of the lawyers that I have talked to in this field have said they like the school district to have their lawyer there as well if they are going. They have said it usually makes things go smoother - often the school district lawyer knows the parent's lawyer professionally and both know what's what and makes things go above-board better.

This women is an educational advocate ... Though it looks like she has worked for a law firm in her past doing this kind of work I don't think she is a barred attorney. Nonetheless I told them she is coming. I wrote this:

"How very kind of you to offer to take time out of your busy schedule to have yet another IEP meeting. I personally do not feel that another meeting is necessary at this time as I feel very comfortable that my last email correspondence memorialized, quite clearly and succinctly, our common understanding with regard to the implementation of the writing accommodations. Of course, if there are still some issues about which the IEP team is unclear, I would be happy to meet again. It would be very helpful to know ahead of time about what issues the team is unclear, so that I can prepare - perhaps bring some educational materials if someone does not understand congenital hypotonia and hypermobility, etc. I personally am only unclear on what the results of your meeting with Mrs. Paraprofessional were and how the "baseline" for the anxiety goal is to be determined. I am more than happy to hear about those two issues via email correspondence or telephone.

Unfortunately, an 8:00am meeting is not possible for us due to work, childcare and school issues with both DS and our younger child. Also, I will be bringing an educational advocate with me and that person also can not make an 8:00am meeting. Could you please send two or three dates that the team would be available for a 10:00am or 10:30am meeting? Thank you so very much."

Last edited by marytheres; 03/21/13 08:19 AM.