Originally Posted by Ephelidasa
I often feel as if the other parents like the boys in the class as they are, a sports loving, cartoon referencing, clique. My son upsets their "normal". That's why they make the comments. It's not because they are worried about their kids, or are concerned about mine. They just can't stand "different" unless it's their own kid.

LOL This is true of my general area. Very conformist, cliquey - at least in my development. All the men are frat-boy has-beens who all seem to have gone to Penn State for business, they all are glued to their tv sets on sundays for the whatever game is on (the women on those days refer to themselves as "sports-widows,") the little boys all play the same sports, evryone has the same car that they trade out every two years for a new one (all the same), everyone dresses the same. As I drive through the neighborhood the theme song to "Weeds" plays in my head - "and they're all made out of ticky tacky and they all look just the same." LOL Needless to say, my husband, the computer geek, and I, an opinionated lawyer (who dared breastfeed her child beyond 6 weeks and sometimes even IN PUBLIC ) do not really fit in with our 12 year old car (though my minivan is relativley newer but it is a MINIVAN not a lexus SUV or a Range Rover). Surprisingly, my quirky/artsy Ds who isn't the biggest into sports either is relatively popular these days - I think it's his mohawk (which he likes to use red gel in) and the fact the little girls seem to get crushes on him. grin Maybe it's his rebel/bad boy image...