Originally Posted by Ultralight Hiker
I find it interesting when people consider 'design' something frivolous.

Sometimes it is, and sometimes it's not. It depends on whether the design serves a purpose or not. It's very easy for a design element to detract from the overall functionality while increasing costs.

Take, for example, the Saturn V rocket. There are many design features that are brilliant... 3 stages, separate service module, the 2-stage LEM. When I saw how that rover could fold up and fit into that tiny compartment on the LEM, I thought that was one of the most brilliant designs ever.

Now, if they'd added chrome plating, a psychedelic paint job, and gull wings to the Saturn V, that would be frivolous. They may look nice, but they contribute absolutely nothing to the function (and in some cases detract from it), at an increased cost in fuel, materials, schedule, manpower, etc.

With that metaphor in mind, taking a second look at egifted.com in Firefox, I see a scrolling bar of photos below the embedded Youtube video, labelled "What is trending now in education!" It's full of pictures without context, and no hypertext to provide any... it just says "Go to link" for every pic. Except for idle curiosity, there's no reasoning provided for any user to click on any of those links.

It sure does look nice, though.

The fifth slide on the slideshow at the top of the page has the same problem. We're treated to a very nice picture of the back of two heads staring at an image of the earth... which is appropriate, since the hypertext of "Go to link" will leave the audience asking themselves, "What on earth...?"

Oh, and I can't say for sure which is the design element causing the problem, but the homepage fails to load entirely in my version of Internet Explorer. This is a fully-functional laptop here, not some tablet or smartphone, and it's running some of the most common browsing software.

So yeah... chrome plating and gull wings.