Originally Posted by squishys
Anecdotally, staceychev, I did not do so well. I was a very "bright" child and I received no help. I am from Australia, and I don't think giftedness was taken seriously in my state until this century! I think, individually, teachers could recognise something and would give me some extension work. It was until I moved to a state where they took it all seriously, the school gave me an aptitude test upon enrolling, and I was put up a year and given extension work in maths. I was happy, did very well (except for some distraction issues...) and I was dux at the end of both years I spent there.

However, I then had to move back to my original state- and was put back down a level. They said I was too young at 11 to start high school. Truly, the worst year of my school life. At the end of the year I was given an IQ test and it showed I am PG. But it was too late. My schooling suffered so badly, I never did well again, except on tests. I ended up leaving school at 15.

Not every child will do badly because of lack of support; but for me, having a combination of extreme lack of confidence, and a lazy mother, really ruined things for me. I believe that having a parent really encourage you to do homework and study and show you different ways of learning would have really helped. I am now studying a double major, and it is torturous to do: I can not get motivated, and I get so bored, despite the subjects being my favourite. I get frustrated and embarrassed because I know I am smart enough, but I just don't have the other necessary skills needed in life. I either don't end up handing in work, or I do and get High Distinctions.

The moral of this long, boring story is: you need to fight for your child's education. And if the school can't provide what he needs, then you have to.

QFT

My education was strictly by the book, including getting to read when I'd finished my work. It took me until I was in my late 20's to learn how to work hard at something and I still have bad focus or determination.

More important than anything else, a child needs to learn how to work at something, how not to give up if something's hard.