About the concern about not being able to skip due to lack of differentiation:

I understand this idea and used to worry about that myself, but with these kids who learn so fast, I wouldn't get discouraged yet.

With books like Spectrum that give you an idea of national standards for each grade, and different curriculum materials and websites (like ixl for math, which breaks down all the skills for each grade level) you can teach your child on the side either after school or on weekends if they'll have it (my problem eventually became my DD getting so discouraged you couldn't get through her wall to even try, or sometimes the child becomes convinced they can only learn what their age peers at school are learning etc.) If you can teach them, you could have them tested with an achievement test privately to show a potential new school they have the skills to be promoted. The new school might hiccup at the tests not being theirs, but in the case of our DD at least it prompted the two private schools we "interviewed" to test her themselves prior to admission decision.

If the school district/principal you're in now is so dead-set against skipping, as you've figured out you'll have to try elsewhere.

But my point is the child can get moved up a grade and even pop back given the right environment. My DD was barely grade level for math (they hardly taught her anything and I couldn't get anywhere with her) upon entering her new school but 3 months later she is doing work for the next grade up. The new school assumed she'd need tutoring for the foreign language but took a "wait and see" attitude but she's doing great. etc. She was just hovering, waiting to LEARN AT SCHOOL.

So don't give up on skipping or entering a more robust environment and thinking it won't work because they've fallen behind - they will eagerly catch up, given the opportunity. Of course, the longer they go with being sidelined and never learning anything at school, the worse it gets for their education and their self-concept.

I would say don't wait until after 3rd grade to do SOMETHING. That's just my personal idea/opinion.

Hope this helps!