Anecdotally, staceychev, I did not do so well. I was a very "bright" child and I received no help. I am from Australia, and I don't think giftedness was taken seriously in my state until this century! I think, individually, teachers could recognise something and would give me some extension work. It was until I moved to a state where they took it all seriously, the school gave me an aptitude test upon enrolling, and I was put up a year and given extension work in maths. I was happy, did very well (except for some distraction issues...) and I was dux at the end of both years I spent there.

However, I then had to move back to my original state- and was put back down a level. They said I was too young at 11 to start high school. Truly, the worst year of my school life. At the end of the year I was given an IQ test and it showed I am PG. But it was too late. My schooling suffered so badly, I never did well again, except on tests. I ended up leaving school at 15.

Not every child will do badly because of lack of support; but for me, having a combination of extreme lack of confidence, and a lazy mother, really ruined things for me. I believe that having a parent really encourage you to do homework and study and show you different ways of learning would have really helped. I am now studying a double major, and it is torturous to do: I can not get motivated, and I get so bored, despite the subjects being my favourite. I get frustrated and embarrassed because I know I am smart enough, but I just don't have the other necessary skills needed in life. I either don't end up handing in work, or I do and get High Distinctions.

The moral of this long, boring story is: you need to fight for your child's education. And if the school can't provide what he needs, then you have to.