Well... I had to giggle at this (painfully!) lol... because this was such a frustration for us in early elementary with the curriculum that was in vogue in our school at the time. DS had soooo so many worksheets that asked him to show understanding - not just in one way but usually in THREE different ways... for very very very VERY simple concepts. It was enough to make me want to throw a brick through a classroom window in frustration!

The reason I came back and commented was, it reminded me of something else that might be useful to consider going into this meeting. Our school had a number of parents who weren't too pleased with the curriculum, as well as, um, plummeting state test scores.... so there were quite a few meetings at school where the school staff tried to explain to the parents why this was such a great teaching method and curriculum etc. The emphasis was always on teaching math in a way that kids who aren't naturally "mathy" could get it and apply it to the real world so it would sink in. I finally realized that what was happening was the *ADULTS* who had chosen the curriculum weren't at all "mathy" and they'd never really understood math in early elementary. SO... not that that will change how you need to approach your meeting but it might be helpful just to keep it in mind - you might know more and be more naturally adept at understanding math than the teachers at the meeting.

Din ding ding!! We are facing this problem right now with the mind numbingly stupid approach my kids school have taken to math, I am sure designed to "help" the kids that aren't naturally mathy - which serves only to confuse and annoy those that are.