Originally Posted by ultramarina
My DH admits that he intentionally leaves things till the last minute so that time pressure can serve as an excuse for why it wasn't perfect, although he also says he does this so he doesn't have time to obsessively rework things again and again.

My DW is the OCD in the house. I'm quite the opposite... there are some times where my very best is called for, but most of the time, it's, "Meh," because things are either not interesting, not important, or both. In order to get through a lot of these things, I deliberately leave them to the last minute, in order to give them a sense of urgency that they otherwise would not have had.

I also find I do my best work under pressure. And I quite enjoy it.

In order to keep this behavior from becoming career-limiting, I find myself setting my own deadlines. If someone comes to me with a request without a deadline ("Oh, whenever... no rush."), I'll give them a time in which I'll have it out to them. Otherwise, I'll probably forget all about it. If it's not important to them, it's certainly not important to me.

Contrast this attitude with DW's, in which everyday events are imminent crises, and things get interesting.